FontForge requires an X server to be running so it can display its user interface. This distribution happens to use VcXsrv, which can allow for remote connections – since FontForge doesn’t use (or require) that, it is safe to keep blocking vcxsrv.exe. – just check Private networks, such as my home or work network.
This is a Windows X-server based on the xorg git sources (like xming or cygwin’s xwin). After you install FontForge the you see one icon into system tray area.
FontForge come like a tool to create new typefaces. You can read this book to have a complete view.
Fisrt, is very easy to use it.
When you start this application then you have wo choices: one is to open a old font and another is to create a new font.
1. If you open a old font then just double left click and a window editor will let you to edit the letter.
2. When you create a new font then is open a default empty matrix to create you letters.
Double left click with your mouse into area of the letter and the window to draw your letter will show you.
Shotcuts keys for created window letter:
– use wheel mouse to up and down the edit area;
– use Ctr+wheel mouse to zoom in/out;
– use Shift+wheel mouse to move left and right;
– use Ctr+A to select all;
– use Delete to delete;
– use Alt+Ctr+R to start python scripting to letter window or for start window use this Ctr +’+’+’.’;
Let’s try a simple example to make / extract one letter from a image.
– draw your letter ( for example letter A) into image file te create new font.
– double click to letter A from default empty font.
– use File – Import ( Ctr+Shift+I) to import your image to the edit window for letter A.
– use Element – Auto trace (Ctr+Shift+T) from menu file to make the letter for your font.
– use Element – Simplify – Simplify (Ctr+Shift+M) tool , see simplify help.
For python script just use the window to execute script ( Alt+Ctr+R) and use this python extensions.
For example: to import one font just press Ctr + . (Execute Script …) and run this into main window:
This will open a new window with the font from python script.
If you feel lost into area of functions and ools then try the index webpage.